Advanced Visual Effects in 2D Games
Thanks for attending my talk at GDC 2015! Here you will find the slides from the presentation, links to all the tools that were mentioned in the presentation and sample assets to get you started playing around and creating your own stunning effects.
Download the presentation here: Advanced-Visual-Effects-in-2D-Games.pdf
These are the tools that were mentioned in the talk:
- SpriteBuilder – Open source game development studio for mobile 2D games
- SpriteIllumninator – Normal map editor (closed beta)
- Sprite DLight – Normal maps automatically from images
- SpriteLamp – Normal maps from shaded images
- CrazyBump – Hight map to normal map generator (free beta)
- NormalMixer – Mixes Normal maps (open source)
You can download a zip file with the images and normal maps used in the presentation here: Sample Assets in the form of a SpriteBuilder project.
Tutorials & Examples
The SpriteBuilder learn section is a great resource for learning more about 2D game development. It is continuously updated with new tutorials and examples of 2D lighting will be added shortly.
All the source code for the space shooter demo can be found here: Galactic Guardian